Hiring a Landscaper in Taos New Mexico
So your yard is not looking so nice and you are in need of an affordable landscaping service in Taos NM but don’t know how to find one. And since you take great pride in your home, you want to make sure you hire the right contractor. Choosing the right landscaper can not only result in a much more attractive lawn and garden, but can also add enjoyment to your summer outdoor activities. And if you should be in the market to sell your house, any realtor will tell you that a successful sale is all about curb appeal. The range of services that you have at your disposal can be as basic as having your lawn cut once a week to having a landscape designer or architect transform your yard to suit your own sense of style. Perhaps your trees need trimming and your shrubs need pruning? And in the winter, most landscaping companies offer snow removal services as well. Whatever your needs, choosing from among the various local landscaping companies can take some time and research on your part. After all, if you ultimately are not happy with the results, it’s not like you can return your yard for a refund. But there is an easy way to find highly skilled and reputable landscaping contractors in your area. We’ll talk more about that later. First, let’s discuss how to perform your due diligence when hiring a local contractor.
Not Just Lawn Mowing
For many Taos NM homeowners, their first introduction to a landscaping company is when they are looking for a service to mow their lawn. From there that need often develops into requiring a full service landscaper that can offer a broad menu of services. Even in the fall and winter months, the need can continue with leaf removal for the lawn as well as snow removal for driveways and sidewalks. So it is important to select a contractor that offers the wide range of services that you will need. Many will list the array of services they offer on their websites, providing colorful pictures of projects that they have worked on. Checking out their sites can be a good initial first step to finding the perfect match. An option that is becoming more popular is to use a referral service that matches the customer with experienced and screened landscaping contractors that work in their area. Some of the services that homeowners can receive proposals for include:
- Lawn mowing and maintenance
- Weed elimination and control
- Tree trimming and removal
- Bush and shrub trimming and pruning
- Sprinkler installation and repair
- Sod installation and grass seeding
- Tree, plant, bush and shrub planting
- Water features installation and maintenance
- Snow and leaf removal
Some Taos NM companies may offer additional services, such as installing outdoor lighting or brick patios and retaining walls. When making your inquiries, you will want to confirm that their main focus is either residential or commercial landscaping, depending on your needs. Also, if you have a unique project, such as a water feature, make sure that the landscaper has extensive experience installing them. Finally, you may want to inquire about seasonal contracts for your annual lawn care needs as well as fall leaf and winter snow removal.
How to Choose a Local Landscaping Contractor
Now that you know who they are and what they do, let’s take a look at some important steps you should take to find and hire a reputable contractor for landscaping at your home or place of business. The first thing that you should keep in mind is that you need to do your due diligence to protect yourself. Yes, there are City, County and State laws in place requiring minimum standards for licensed contractors. Although all contractors must follow the regulations in place, not all do. And even the most stringent laws will not protect you from poor workmanship, delays or unfinished projects. At least they won’t until after the fact when you are looking for restitution, which you may or may not receive. So it is important that you take the following steps to not only protect yourself but ensure that you are hiring a reliable Taos NM landscaping expert to maintain your lawn, garden or shrubberies.
- Get Referrals. Soliciting referrals from satisfied customers is a good way to find a reputable and professional Taos NM landscaping contractor. Friends, neighbors and family are always good resources to start with. Another option that is becoming more and more popular is obtaining quotes from services that pre-screen local contractors. They ensure that the contractors are licensed and certified professionals for your protection. You can obtain free quotes from local landscapers in your area by requesting a quote from the recommended service on this website.
- Be sure to verify Licenses and Credentials. It is a good idea to do some preliminary research into the background of the Taos NM contractors you are considering. Confirm that they hold all of the licenses required in New Mexico or your City or Local Municipality. Check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints as well as the New Mexico Attorney General. Go online and check local reviews and visit their website. Find out if they hold any designations from professional organizations. All of these credentials and citations will give you an insight into not only their professionalism but their standing in your community.
- Meet with the Contractors. Once you have narrowed down the list to two or three candidates have them come to your home to see the job first hand. Make sure that all bids are based on the same specifications and cover all of your job requirements. If their bid is unusually high or even low, ask them why. Be sure to ask all pertinent questions, such as how long will the job take, or if they anticipate there will be any problems or delays. Be wary if the Taos NM landscaping contractor doesn’t ask you many questions about your requirements or concerns.
- Ask for and check References. Before making the final selection, ask for and check at least 3 Taos NM area references. Ask each previous customer if the job was completed to their utmost satisfaction. Ask if the job was completed on time and billed as quoted. Was there anything that the customer was not 100% satisfied with? Was there anything that they wish had been done differently? And finally, would they use the contractor again or recommend their service to their friends and family?
- And finally, get everything In Writing. After making your final selection, be sure to review all of the documents that your Taos NM landscaping contractor has prepared for you. Ask for certificates of insurance for the Workers Compensation as well as the Liability Insurance. Be sure to contact the insurance company to verify that the policies are both current. Verify that they will obtain a Building Permit if required for installation projects. Make sure that all services, materials and costs are included in detail in the final proposal. Also make sure that the deposit and payment schedule is specified so each party knows what is expected. Start and completion dates, dispute resolution, and warranties all should be covered in the final contract.
A Bit More About Taos New Mexico
Taos, New Mexico
Taos /taʊs/ is a town in Taos County in the north-central region of New Mexico in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, incorporated in 1934. As of the 2010 census, its population was 5,716. Other nearby communities include Ranchos de Taos, Cañon, Taos Canyon, Ranchitos, El Prado, and Arroyo Seco. The town is close to Taos Pueblo, the Native American village and tribe from which it takes its name.
The Taos Pueblo, which borders the town of Taos on its north side, has been occupied for nearly a millennium. It is estimated that the pueblo was built between 1000 and 1450 A.D., with some later expansion, and the pueblo is considered to be one of the oldest continuously inhabited communities in the United States.
Located in a tributary valley off the Rio Grande, it is the most northern of the New Mexico pueblos. The pueblo, at some places five stories high, is a combination of many individual homes with common walls. There are over 1,900 Taos Puebloans living within the greater pueblo-area community. Many of them have modern homes near their fields and live there in summer months, only staying at their homes within the main North or South pueblo buildings during cooler weather. About 150 people live within the main pueblo buildings year-round. The Taos Pueblo was added as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992.
Taos was established c. 1615 as Don Fernando de Taos, following the Spanish conquest of the Indian Pueblo villages by Geneva Vigil. Initially, relations of the Spanish settlers with Taos Pueblo were amicable, but resentment of meddling by missionaries, and demands by encomenderos for tribute, led to a revolt in 1640; Taos Indians killed their priest and a number of Spanish settlers, and fled the pueblo, not returning until 1661.
Find the Right Landscaping Company in Taos NM
Searching for the right landscaping company is easier than you think. Just request your free estimates now! There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top professional pre-screened landscapers servicing your area. Professional lawn care, snow removal and tree service professionals are standing by waiting to compete for your business. So what are you waiting for? Find the right Taos NM landscaping professional at the right price now!
Other Interesting Cities in New Mexico